Saturday, February 19, 2011

Introduction - Julie O'yang

Hi members, would like to introduce you, our first foreign author - Julie O'yang

Introduction in her own words

"
My name is Julie O’Yang. I reside in The Netherlands.
Born and brought up in China, I came to Europe in 1990s to study at the University of London. Then I read Japanese Language and Culture at the University of Leiden, The Netherlands, and Tokyo, Japan. After my graduation, I have worked in several Dutch and Chinese media as a freelance journalist as well as translated a good number of contemporary novels from Chinese into Dutch. I have published two novels in Dutch. I travel extensively between Europe and China, working as a writer, screenwriter and visual artist.
Butterfly is my first novel written in English. I’m represented by Pontas Literary & Film Agency.
I like to read good books no matter which genre. Hate chick lit.
These are five titles I’ve been re-reading the past week:
1. Nabokov, Lolita. What else?
2. Borges, anything. Best thing about him is that you can turn open a page and start to read.
3. Zhuang Zi (4th century BC). “We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.”
4. Haiku as my lullaby, or
5. Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk: “Yes, terrible things happen, but sometimes those terrible things- they save you.”
My interests/activities are things I do. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000185042058&sk=info"

(Posted on 8/2/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment